Monday, August 30, 2010

Soooo much zucchini

One of the mixed blessings of a home garden is the huge amounts of zucchini it produces. On the one hand, it is very gratifying to one's ego as a gardener to have these plants do so well and produce so many large and beautiful fruits. However, to have to come up with ways to consume all these zucchinis takes more patience, creativity, and appetite than I profess to possess. My neighbor has described August as a month where you can tell whether or not someone has many friends by whether or not they have to BUY zucchini. Happily for him, this year he can be counted as one of those WITH friends since I keep pawning off some of my crop on him and his family.
So today's mission is to try to use up, hide, give away or otherwise disperse with some of the 20 zucchinis currently sitting on my kitchen counter. To that end I have decided to freeze a good deal of it for future use in veggie hummus wraps and zucchini bread. Another portion I am going to use for dinner tonight when I try to make a noodle-less version of lasagna. (thinly sliced zucchini will replace the lasagna noodles). If it turns out at all edible, you can expect a recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment