Monday, February 6, 2012

Adventures in Stamina, Heights, and Food

Last week was a brave week for me. I took my first ever rock climbing class at an indoor gym, and tried my hand at a new yoga style.
terrible picture of climbing gym
First off: Rock climbing is awesome. I really really like it. It is hard and a little bit scary, but I think it just makes it that much more thrilling. Trying rock climbing has reminded me how much I like to challenge myself. It also reminded me that I am quite out of shape :) Dr. H will be joining me this week for a class in belaying, and then we will get to go climb together!
Bikram Yoga poses
So...Yoga. Hot Yoga actually. I have been looking around for a good deal for yoga classes, and stumbled on a studio that offers 30 days of yoga for $30. Score! That is seriously cheap! Okay, so it is hot yoga...but I had wanted to try it, right? I showed up to the first class really excited. I left dehydrated, dizzy, and extremely tired. Fine, That is normal for your first 90 minute class working your butt off in 110 degree heat. You read that right. 110 degrees! Sucker for pain that I am, I went back to a second class on Friday. It was much better (meaning I didn't start to black out), but then the room was much cooler  (105 degrees) and WAY fewer people were there. I still went home dizzy, exhausted and dehydrated. People, I have never drank so much water in my life. And I was still dehydrated! 
So I still have another 25 days of yoga left at the studio, but I am not sure I can convince myself to go back. I mean running is just as good for you, and has a much easier recovery. 
I miss regular yoga. 


view from top of Tubbs Hill

Lake Coeur D'Alene

hiking
So adventure number 3 this week was going on a little hike with Dr. H on Sunday. The super bowl just doesn't do it for us. Instead, we ate breakfast at our favorite little diner, went on a hike on icy trails, and had a Birthday Feast with friends. All set with the backdrop of a gorgeous, warm-ish sunny day! 
breakfast

And my final adventure of the week: beginning a new diet. I know. SUPER fun. But I want to be a strong, slender, power house! I have been working on the strong part, now it is time to earnestly work toward slender. When I can eat a breakfast like the photo above, does it really count as a diet? 

Happy adventuring everyone!

1 comment: