Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cabbage and Noodles: Yes I'm Serious

So I have recently gotten some flack from people who think cabbage and noodles sounds either a) gross, or b)crazy. I'm here to set the record straight and say that this amazing old Bohemian dish is neither of those. What it is is a delicious no-fuss dinner perfect for times when you have 3 dollars left in the bank, and a whole house full of hungry people. For you nay-sayers out there, I am posting the recipe and issuing this challenge: Make the damn cabbage and noodles and just try to tell me you didn't like it!  (If you dislike cabbage to begin with, well then you are excused from trying this as there are only four ingredients and Cabbage is the main one) I want to see comments on here people. Mostly comments telling me what a blessing it is having me in your life to supply you with yummy recipes for unusual meals. So get cooking!

Cabbage and Noodles (Mama E's Recipe)
1 head of cabbage  (green, savoy, doesn't matter) cored and shredded
1 onion or a bunch of leeks (your choice. I use whatever I have on hand) coursly chopped
1 stick butter  (1/2 cup. You CAN use less, but butter makes everything better. I never said this         was healthy!)
Enough noodles to feed number of people. I use bowtie noodles, but egg noodles are also good!

Start pot of water for noodles. Melt about a tablespoon of butter in LARGE pan. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add cabbage and slices of butter until all cabbage is in the pot and cooking. Cabbage is done when it is bright green and a bit limp but still has a bit of a crunch in the center. Meanwhile, as soon as the water reaches a rolling boil add pasta and let cook until al dente. You don't want it to become a sticky mushy mess. Drain pasta, and add it to the pan with the cabbage. (Honestly I don't have a pan big enough to hold both the pasta and the noodles, so I just put them all back into the pot that cooked the noodles.
Now for seasoning: Add salt and pepper to taste. That's it! And please for the-love-of-dogs use fresh ground pepper.

Now eat and start singing my praises. Or rather, sing the praises of Dr. H's   Polish and Czech ancestors.

1 comment:

  1. Okay... I have now found this, all be it very late, but am planning on taking the challenge serious and perform culinary magic TONIGHT!

    ReplyDelete