Saturday, September 25, 2010

Carrot Soup

I have been pretty lax recently about trying to use up all the carrots I get in my CSA box each week. This has resulted in a huge pile of carrots residing in my fridge. When I pulled yet another bunch of carrots out of this weeks box, I decided enough was enough and began a quick carrot ginger soup. These soups are so simple, delicious and jam packed full of vitamin A.

Carrot Soup + your choice of seasonings

carrots: peeled and cubed. Use as many carrots as you like, I have about 3-4 pounds in mine right now.    But 3 large carrots would be fine.
1-2 Onions chopped
2 tbsp butter (can sub olive oil, but butter is delicious)
1-2 medium potatoes (optional) peeled and cubed
garlic 
salt and pepper
enough vegetable/chicken broth to cover
heavy cream for garnish

Spices:
grated ginger
nutmeg and cinnamon
herbs de province and a bay leaf
any other spice combo you like! Get creative.

Melt butter in large stock pot. When it begins to bubble at the edges, add in onion and some salt and cook until translucent. Add garlic and spices (if using ginger wait to add until closer to the end). Add carrots and potatoes and enough broth to cover (roughly 5-6 cups). Cook 15-20 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are very soft. (Add ginger if using) Blend soup in blender in small batches (fill the blender about half way), or use an immersion blender. You want the soup pretty silky, though I don't mind a few chunks left.
Garnish with salt, pepper and 1-2 tsp heavy cream. Enjoy with some warm bread and butter.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really tasty. I think I'll try this this weekend. Does this recipe only serve two? How would you suggest for a batch to serve at least 7 people + leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the batch I just cooked up made around 6-8 servings, but I put in probably around 8 carrots, and 1 medium potato. To serve 7+ I would make sure I had at least 2 lbs of carrots, and 2 large potatoes. Adjust all the other ingredients to taste, making sure to add enough broth to cover diced potatoes and carrots. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete