Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Novel Idea

I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but it is 10:45 on a Thursday and I have just barely gotten out of bed. That is not to say that I haven't been awake for a while now. Not quite up with the sun, but not up at the crack of noon either. At around 8 this morning I was roused by the gentle meowing of my cat at my bedroom door. After a few minutes of cursing on my side, and pitiful mewing on his, I decided to count my losses and resigned myself to the waking world. So I rolled over and grabbed the book on my nightstand.

Now this is the true reason for this post. Some blogs have special days of the week where they do something a little out of the ordinary in an effort to keep things fresh. Think "wordless Wednesday" or "Finders Friday". I give myself no pretensions to that kind of ongoing diligence with the order of my posts. Instead I have decided that every once in a while, I will write up a little something about whatever book I happen to be reading. Don't count on this every week. Some weeks I may not be able to find the time to read a new book. Other weeks, I may not want to share the lurid title of my trashy novel with the world.

So on to today's book. The hours of 8-10:45 this morning were spent reading "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.
For me, this book is extremely interesting. I have to admit, I have a soft spot for Michael Pollan anyway. I have read most of his other books, and if I haven't quite been able to enjoy them (who enjoys learning about the corruptness of our food system?) I have at least found them very education and influential. If you're interested in the whole food movement, and/or sustainable eating give this book a read. If not, well you should read it anyway :)

If you pick up a copy of this book and start to read it, comment on here and we can have a kind of virtual book club! Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Dad thinks out loud to himself... "Hmmm maybe I should read this?" HELLO!!! Alarms begin blaring in my head... OH NO!!! I have in the last two months given up SUGAR, BREAD, GRAINS, GREEN VEGI'S and am stuck with a diet consisting of meat, eggs, milk, and potatoes! HE CAN NOT!!! READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just recently bought this book and almost started it today. The only other book of his I've read is In Defense of Food but I really enjoyed it. I'd love to hear what you think of it along the way!

    ReplyDelete