Sunday, September 5, 2010

Farmers Market Bounty


Yesterday I went on my weekly pilgrimage to the farmer's market to pick up my CSA box. For those of you who haven't heard of it, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and is a program where consumers purchase a certain share of a farmer's harvest early in the season. This helps the farmers have the capital they need to get things going, and it helps the consumer have access to super fresh local veggies. I heart CSAs. If you happen to be interested in this, here is a site where you can look up CSAs in your neighborhood. Local Harvest

In this weeks box we got a bunch of heirloom apples and pears, corn, heirloom tomatoes, celery, potatoes, bell peppers, cabbage, onions, garlic, lettuce, green beans (Dr. H's favorite!), Thai basil and a couple other things I'm forgetting right now. Yum!

At the market I also always pick up some locally roasted coffee that is Delicious! I have happily just learned the people who roast the coffee live just down the street, and that I will be able to continue to get this coffee through the winter. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's so cool that you are a part of CSA. I just wish I could be a part of something like that here. But here they charge $12.00 for a small bag of greens. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time you come to visit we will have to take you to our friends coffee plantation. You can watch them husk the coffee and roast it in their open air copper kettle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. We get a box each week too. I got hooked on heirloom tomatoes this summer. and the week we got passion fruits... so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't heirloom tomatoes the best? It makes me sad that most people think of tomatoes as those flavorless red-ish things in the grocery store... Yay for CSAs! And passion fruit? I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete